28.8.10

Cover to Cover

I recently stumbled across a pop-up second hand book sale where the entire collection of books being sold were from a crafts library. So basically what I'm saying is the other day I found myself in heaven. To say that I have a soft spot for used books would be a grave understatement, I whole heartedly LOVE second hand books. Anyone who shares this love will agree, the smell of an old book is nothing short of intoxicating. Actually, what I find so amazing about that smell is that its caused by the gradual deterioration of the book meaning you're actually breathing the book in. Intoxicating. But back to the point, I narrowed my selection down to two (because everything I wanted was hardcover and about 20 pounds) and I couldn't be happier with my choice.


One of the books is an instructional book about Lost Wax Casting (my favourite form of metal work) and includes some gorgeous pictures of works inspired by nature.


The other book is a gigantic hardcover chronicling 'Jewelry Through the Ages' and has some really beautiful photos of amazing jewelry. Its always so inspiring to look at historical pieces of jewelry because both the form and function of jewelry have changed so drastically throughout time. (I apologize for the picture quality here, I don't have a scanner so took photos of the books pages)


I particularly like looking at Medieval jewelry and how differently ornamentation was placed on the body then. I love how the necklaces stretch broadly across the neckline instead dropping down. So elegant.



Its so hard to find a historical jewelry book that doesn't only feature the same iconic pieces of each era, and I really thought I couldn't be more pleased with the book I had bought. That is until I took off the sleeve cover and found this beneath.



I LOVE this book. Finding a cloth hard cover is exciting enough in itself. Make that cloth an amazing tomato red and add some minimalist gold foil graphics and I'm in love. This book could not be more rad.

No comments:

Post a Comment